the magazine i once made😂


Back in 2009, I was very ambitious and decided to start a magazine which is the only magazine that I have ever had. I was in primary school and I was not even part of the journalism club. The idea came about when I got a spiral notebook. The ones that roll over when you flip the page. In the notebook, I added pictures that I cut out of newspapers and magazines and just wrote little captions underneath them. I tried to make it sound like I am an experienced journalist who has been in the game for a long time. There was even a page where I drew models and my own celebrities caught in public. There was this celebrity that I made up and I called her Az and she had been caught on camera somewhat bargaining the price of onions. For the record, I didn’t know whether or not she was bargaining or just ask the price but I just decided to paint a different picture just like what some journalists are known for. There was also this celebrity called Fred that I drew and he was picking his nose in public and in the caption I wrote something like ‘Look at him being a good example to his kids’. I was all for being as bitchy as I can when it came to captions.

Another part of the magazine was the interviews. Once again, I used my made up celebrities and I even spiced it up with some drama like the interviewee would stop mid interview just to pour a glass of water on me because I had asked how she felt that her third marriage almost coming to an end. This was just for pure fun guys, nothing too serious.

The magazine was called Naisma and it came from a typo of miasma. The tagline was ‘we see you, you don’t see us’. Very creepy, very mysterious. The only person who knew about the magazine was a couple of my classmates and a also teacher who laughed his head off at a picture of a cat sitting side by side with a dog and the caption read ‘Finally Friends’. It wasn’t even that funny but considering the kind of jokes he made I get why he found that to be humorous.

I intended to sell the magazine for 50 shillings but I ended up making just 10% of it after I sold it to my sister who by the way to this day still has it but without the cover.